Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Abandoned Boys and the Three Brothers in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

This is just sort of a records post. I found it in my drafts, so I thought I would briefly put something up. I'm not filling in the sources because I don't know where they are exactly, but I'm putting in enough detail that I think one could find them with some clever crafting of queries in a search engine.

Somewhere I read somebody posting or saying that the three brothers in the the "Tale of the Three Brothers" in The Tales of Beetle the Bard in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows are analogous to  Voldemort, Snape, and Harry, with Dumbledore playing the role of death (I have a vague recollection that there may have been some goings on on Muggle Matters at one point and that it may have intersected with a suggestion that somebody had that the three brothers were based on/code for/interpretation of/etc the three sons of Judah in the story of Judah and Tamar in Genesis 38, with which I disagreed, but it's all a bit fuzzy). Definitely (and I can't remember who said this, the author of the original author or my mind), Snape, is trying to keep a phantasm of Lily alive in his heart, I think, like the middle brother with the stone. And Harry does have the cloak. And Voldy does get the wand by violence. So it could be ...

The only thing further I would note is that the three of them, Voldy, Snape, and Harry, do seem to be a thematic grouping. It comes most clearly in a line I have always liked: when he is walking down out of the castle toward the forest to give himself up to be killed by Voldemort toward the end of Deathly Hallows, he is thinking that he is wishing he could just go home, but then, Hogwarts was the only home he had ever really known, he and Voldemort and Snape, the "abandoned boys." And Dumbledore definitely has a distinct relation with each: finds Riddle and brings him to Hogwarts and the only one Voldy ever fears; gives Snape a good guy role; and everything that happens with Harry in the seven books, so I guess it could definitely be argued that DD has a distinct role in relation to the "abandoned boys" and that the dynamic is analogous that in the tale.

No comments: