Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Lazarus Effect Review

Flatliners meets Lucy meets Event Horizon meets Resident Evil ... glad family video gave me a free rental to entice me back to more regular renting, so I can console myself that I at least I didn't pay for that one.

I liked Flatliners and the RE franchise, and, at best, really couldn't get into Event Horizon or Lucy. But even if I liked all of them, doing a mash-up of all four is so derivative as to leave no room for any originality. And they swapped the only real chance at resolution in the story (the little girl maybe opening the door as being able to move on) for the cheap and obvious set-up for a sequel ... Lazarus Effect is a bust as far as I'm concerned.

Batting 50-50 with horror panned by the critics - totally disagreed with them on As Above, So Below, but totally agreed with them on this one (and I really wanted to like Olivia Wilde, since I really liked her in Tron Legacy, and this was done by the makers of Paranormal Activity, of which I thought the first two movies were good, so I wanted to like it on those grounds too, but it's just no good ... not as horrendous as Prometheus, but getting there)

No comments: